Need a Better Dentist

Last night I lost a filling.

When I woke up this morning, I called for an appointment at Smile Care on post.

They gave me one for an hour and a half later.

So far, so good.

I go out to get in the car. Dead battery. Jump car. I was wondering when the deployment gremlins would make their reappearance.

So, not the best start, but I’m on my way.

I get to the office and wait. And wait. And wait some more.

They call me and as I am on my way back, she asks if I am pregnant (which I was just about to tell her when we got settled). I reply that I am. Apparently they were about to x-ray me.

So, she sits me in another room and I wait.

Then another assistant or hygeienist or whatever comes in. “Can we take a few pictures? We’ll double bib you.”

No explanation as to why this is necessary.

“No. I would prefer not to have X-Rays done.”

So, I wait.

About two hours after my appointment, the dentist makes an appearance to verify that yes, I lost a filling. She starts talking about scheduling me for a filling.

She explains that there are other patients…

I love how they always act as if you being selfish.

Ummm… why when I called would they schedule me for an appointment when there was not enough time to fix the problem about which I called?

Her answer? “Well, I guess they thought you were in pain.”

Why? I never said I was. They never asked. If I was in pain, she would have just suggested some of that puddy they sell in the drugstores anyway…couldn’t they suggest that over the phone?

When I get up to the desk to make said appointment, they now try to explain that the dentist has to look at it first in a separate appointment.

So, now I am selfish and stupid. I can’t tell that a glass-hard filling came out in my mouth?

Please. I have been to many dentists in my life and every time they scheduled enough time for the expected procedure.

Anyway, she observes that I have chosen the tooth-colored enamel. No, I haven’t chosen anything. The hygeienist asked what I had before and I told her. Then the receptionists mentions the “two fillings.” No one told me that.

No one told me anything. No one told me there was a two hour wait. No one told me it was just a diagnostic. No one told me about the different types of fillings. No one told me there were two. Most disturbingly, no one told me why an X-Ray would have been so necessary to perform on a pregnant woman.

The end result? Two hours down the tube and in a week I will have to shell out $106 (even though I have dental insurance) to get my fillings done.

UPDATE: After getting over the stupidity of a non-essential X-Ray, I started to think about the stupidity of not covering composite fillings for pregnant women. I have e-mailed TRICARE Dental to ask why they do not cover the composite fillings and why they make no exception for necessary fillings in pregnant women. Asserting that I have a “choice” between silver and composite is ridiculous given that there is a controversy as to whether or not silver fillings are safe in pregnant women. Of course I will spend $106 if there is even the slightest risk the silver fillings could harm my baby…but with insurance, a standard, medically necessary procedure should NOT cost that much. I’ll let you know what response (if any) I get.

Sounds like your dentist appointment was alot like my post office trip. I swear, some people…. :)

6. Tanker Wife says:

I use a dentist in Temple that is awesome, so I don’t have to deal with all the idiots in Killeen. We have had such bad dental care when using in town dentists, so we just choose to go 30 minutes away. It’s worth the drive!

7. Tanker Wife says:

8. Tanker Wife says:

9. Tanker Wife says:

10. Tanker Wife says:

Stay away from a Dr in Harker Heights. He’s male and (I wish I could remember his name) and hispanic. He drilled on any little possible stick! Things that weren’t cavatives yet, he drilled them.

He also drilled down to the pulp on one tooth of mine. I could drink or even breath with my mouth open due to pain and he was booked for two weeks. The head of the post clinic pulled the filling and tried to fix it. We PCS’d a few weeks later and a doc in VA put in a composite filling (I had to pay the difference as TriCare claimed it was considered cosmetic!). It wasn’t until the composite was placed that I could drink cold foods or brush my teeth with normal instead of warm tap water!

Thanks for the tip on the fillings! I never knew about that and since we are now “trying” and I have evil teeth I will get stubborn on the fillings. :-)

16. jawz33 says:

AAW, I am a hygienist and encourage you to avoid using the McDental offices that have sprung up on bases over the past few years. While the care can be competent, their primary motivation is your insurance, not your wellbeing.
    Yes, X-rays can be done during a pregnancy, but not routinely. Always better to forego anything elective till post preg…except your 6th month hygiene appt:)
    Furthermore, United Concordia (our dental ins provider) only covers silver amlagam fillings. If you opt for composite, glass ionomer etc…the insurance will only pay up to what the silver would have cost.
    Out here in Socal, most dentists do NOT use any silver material. These are the same dentists that are Concordia “preferred providers”. And the unwitting spouse ends up having to pay the differnce. I have complained numerous times, but get nowhere.
    Ask your friends who they recommend. More importantly, ask them who to avoid.
    Congrats on your baby girl!

17. jawz33 says:

Ask your friends who they recommend. More importantly, ask them who to avoid.
    Congrats on your baby girl!

18. jawz33 says:

Ask your friends who they recommend. More importantly, ask them who to avoid.
    Congrats on your baby girl!

19. jawz33 says:

Ask your friends who they recommend. More importantly, ask them who to avoid.
    Congrats on your baby girl!

20. jawz33 says:

Ask your friends who they recommend. More importantly, ask them who to avoid.
    Congrats on your baby girl!