Home Again, Home Again

Hello!

Yes…I was away for fun reasons. My mom and I took a trip to Italy (my third, her first) before I got too big with baby to enjoy travel.

We had tons of fun–frenetic sightseeing in Rome, leisurely strolls from museum to church in Florence, and sailing through the canals of Venice.

Usually DH is my tour guide, but this time I led mom around through all of the streets, locating famous sights and some a little less well known.

My mom is almost 60 and I am five months pregnant–but the trip went very smoothly!

I am now making my way back home via New York (my hometown).

Being a military spouse even influences the way you take a vacation:

To prepare for the trip, I left Rear D with a full itinerary of hotels, phone numbers, and addresses so they could contact me just in case. This is SO important in case of injury or worse for your soldier. If they cannot contact you, the entire forward operating base (FOB) is on blackout and everyone else cannot hear from their loved ones. Fortunately, that information was not necessary while I was in Italy.

Cyber cafes allowed me to check in with DH almost every day. Although I know that casualty notification would find me just about anywhere in the world, it was still always a huge relief to see his e-mails at the end of my day.

What would we do without the Internet these days…. :) Glad to hear that you had a good time on your trip.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Welcome back.

HH6

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Welcome back.

HH6

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Welcome back.

HH6

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Welcome back.

HH6

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Welcome back.

HH6

11. Philomina says:

Hi-

I just was searching on the net for information about OCS and what I should know about it. My boyfriend started OCS at Benning in March and will graduate in June. Your blog has been very helpful in answering some questions about what to expect as a military officer’s SO. Oh, and I especially loved the pudding story!!! Have a great day, I hope you and your little one in there are doing well!

-Philomina

12. Philomina says:

Hi-

-Philomina

13. Philomina says:

Hi-

-Philomina

14. Philomina says:

Hi-

-Philomina

15. Philomina says:

Hi-

-Philomina

Ms Philomina let me tell you that there’s more myth than truth to the officer wives tales. Yes there are a few snooty folks but over all you can say there are fools in any grouping.

Expectations – Expect to be yourself, if someone doesn’t like it someone else will. I’ve been a wife for 7 going on 8 years now and I have friends in many branches of service and on both sides of the rank fence. Just be you and you will be fine. :-)

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

21. Hi, Philomina,

I have to tell you…I’ve had to learn to dress MORE casually since becoming a military spouse. I was actually looking forward to calling cards–thank goodness I did not buy any, they would have been of no use.

The two pairs of jeans were a much better investment.

While having a positively involved spouse can reflect well on an officer–the slate is wiped clean once he goes to Captain’s Career Course anyway! Of course, it is always good to be as nice and helpful as possible…it does reflect well on your husband in any career and more importantly, it reflects well on you and is good for the soul.

Don’t worry about “official rules” of ettiquette, though. Hardly anyone knows them anymore and on the rare occasion they are used, they will be announced as necessary (like the occasional receiving line).

22. Hi, Philomina,

The two pairs of jeans were a much better investment.

23. Hi, Philomina,

The two pairs of jeans were a much better investment.

24. Hi, Philomina,

The two pairs of jeans were a much better investment.

25. Hi, Philomina,

The two pairs of jeans were a much better investment.