Hands Tied

To give you an idea of some of the absurd rules and regulations we deal with as FRG volunteers:

Our FRG is hoping to provide each incoming single soldier with some of the essentials they will need upon their return–sheets, towels, toiletries, etc. We are gathering free samples and also will use some funds for these things as well. However, we would love to also ask for donations. Many companies would be more than happy to donate items if we provide them with an official written request.

The DA has been considering restrictions on FRG soliciting and fundraising. Ft. Hood announced a post policy in advance of new DA rules.

There is allegedly a written policy, but we can’t see one. We were told it is still in the draft stage–but we must follow it nonetheless. There are some powerpoint slides–which are vague and ambiguous, but we have been told they mean we basically can’t ask for anything. Other FRGs have not been briefed at all on the new “rules” and others have been given different interpretations.

However, we have been warned, commanders will be held responsible if we run afoul of the new rules…which we can’t see…but exist…but no one is sure what they are.

The higher ups have a valid concern that local businesses might become weary of repeated requests–which makes sense. However, they have not put anything more efficient or rational in place of the old system (random requests from every FRG).

So, if we basically are not supposed to fundraise (except within the unit families) and solicit, how do we get things for the soldiers and families?

Allegedly we have “sponsors.” This is coordinated through Ft. Hood National Bank. However, we have difficulty getting any information. Apparently they do not have enough sponsors for all of the Battalions. Even if you do get a sponsor, there is no consistency. Your sponsor may give out a hundred pads of paper while someone else’s sponsor might give every soldier a care package and provide a new computer for a raffle.

There is the wrong way, the right way, the Army way… and the Ft. Hood way.

1. Fundraising & donations at Fort Hood is part of the culture. I can see it getting tiresome for the businesses, but most of them have strict rules – Wednesday AM between the hours of 7&8 I remember going to Wal-mart. UGH!!! You can always do an internet campaign????

2. Fundraising & donations at Fort Hood is part of the culture. I can see it getting tiresome for the businesses, but most of them have strict rules – Wednesday AM between the hours of 7&8 I remember going to Wal-mart. UGH!!! You can always do an internet campaign????

3. Fundraising & donations at Fort Hood is part of the culture. I can see it getting tiresome for the businesses, but most of them have strict rules – Wednesday AM between the hours of 7&8 I remember going to Wal-mart. UGH!!! You can always do an internet campaign????

4. Fundraising & donations at Fort Hood is part of the culture. I can see it getting tiresome for the businesses, but most of them have strict rules – Wednesday AM between the hours of 7&8 I remember going to Wal-mart. UGH!!! You can always do an internet campaign????

5. Fundraising & donations at Fort Hood is part of the culture. I can see it getting tiresome for the businesses, but most of them have strict rules – Wednesday AM between the hours of 7&8 I remember going to Wal-mart. UGH!!! You can always do an internet campaign????

6. We can fundraise within the unit family (which we are doing), but cannot solicit in any way, shape, or form, outside businesses. At least this is what we were told–again, we’ve asked to see the policy and have been told it is in draft form BUT we still must follow it??? We can accept offered donations, but cannot “ask.” Most businesses require formal signed letters before they can grant requests.

I certainly understand how it can get to be too much for the local businesses to get hit up constantly–but the post hasn’t replaced our random solicitation with any viable programs. They tell us that FRGs aren’t supposed to be fundraising organizations and they say we’ll get sponsors, but not everyone gets one. They say we’ll eventually get grants…but they haven’t appeared yet.

So, we want to help out the soldiers…but we can only ask the soldiers’ families and friends for money and items.

Like with many silly rules, many units ignore them…but others are rule-followers. So, the result is uneven–which I don’t think is fair to the soldiers.

Oh, well. So it goes. I’m working the issue as best as I can.

7. We can fundraise within the unit family (which we are doing), but cannot solicit in any way, shape, or form, outside businesses. At least this is what we were told–again, we’ve asked to see the policy and have been told it is in draft form BUT we still must follow it??? We can accept offered donations, but cannot “ask.” Most businesses require formal signed letters before they can grant requests.

Oh, well. So it goes. I’m working the issue as best as I can.

8. We can fundraise within the unit family (which we are doing), but cannot solicit in any way, shape, or form, outside businesses. At least this is what we were told–again, we’ve asked to see the policy and have been told it is in draft form BUT we still must follow it??? We can accept offered donations, but cannot “ask.” Most businesses require formal signed letters before they can grant requests.

Oh, well. So it goes. I’m working the issue as best as I can.

9. We can fundraise within the unit family (which we are doing), but cannot solicit in any way, shape, or form, outside businesses. At least this is what we were told–again, we’ve asked to see the policy and have been told it is in draft form BUT we still must follow it??? We can accept offered donations, but cannot “ask.” Most businesses require formal signed letters before they can grant requests.

Oh, well. So it goes. I’m working the issue as best as I can.

10. We can fundraise within the unit family (which we are doing), but cannot solicit in any way, shape, or form, outside businesses. At least this is what we were told–again, we’ve asked to see the policy and have been told it is in draft form BUT we still must follow it??? We can accept offered donations, but cannot “ask.” Most businesses require formal signed letters before they can grant requests.

Oh, well. So it goes. I’m working the issue as best as I can.

11. Lauren says:

What if you were to have an outside rep., that was not directly affiliated with ft. hood, but was a fiancee of a Hood Soldier, Go to other “outside of Killeen” texas citys and solicit on your behalf? I am from the houston area, and have family in the dallas aera, and because they lack an Army Post, would surely like to do there part!

I do know however that some companys have regons that they are allowed to donate to, and the rest of the regons are SOL.

Also i would like to know more about the Ft Hood FRG and see what i can do, even though i am not in killeen, and not an Army wife yet?

12. Lauren says:

13. Lauren says:

14. Lauren says:

15. Lauren says:

16. Hi, Lauren,

FRGs on Hood are allowed to accept any help that is offered to them.

Also, individuals can and are pursuing options through family and friends.

The regulations mainly deal with fundraisers and solicitations outside of the unit’s family. Most corporations require formal requests for money or items in writing…and this is basically what we are not allowed to do.

Most FRGs operate on the company level. Our policy is to include ANY family member (including fiancees) that the soldier tells us about. So if you want to get involved with yours, just make contact. If you e-mail me (armywifelife@hotmail.com) with your fiance’s unit info, I can track down a contact for you, if you need help finding your FRG leader.

I’m sure they will be happy to include you on their mailing/calling list and will appreciate any help you want to offer.

Just be aware that, since FRGs are run by volunteers, the quality varies widely.

As much as I hate to be naughty its better to beg forgivness than to ask for permission. I’d keep soliciting until the command has an actual written copy or can provide the reg number to you to read yourself.

Sorry they are being so silly over all of this. Its the soldiers that suffer from it in the end.

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

22. While normally I would agree, we have been (A) explicitly told not to from the higher ups (Division and Brigade level); and (B) it isn’t me who would get in trouble. After all, they can’t really do anything to me, can they? It is someone else’s husband (the Battery and Battalion Commanders) who would ultimately be held accountable.

I think we have a solution, though..we were FINALLY just adopted–by a non-profit. I think if I do all the legwork and write up the soliitation letters, I can get them to send out the letters from their board. This way WE are not soliciting, but the corporations still get an official letter from a non-profit. I think this may be a loophole we can exploit.

23. While normally I would agree, we have been (A) explicitly told not to from the higher ups (Division and Brigade level); and (B) it isn’t me who would get in trouble. After all, they can’t really do anything to me, can they? It is someone else’s husband (the Battery and Battalion Commanders) who would ultimately be held accountable.

24. While normally I would agree, we have been (A) explicitly told not to from the higher ups (Division and Brigade level); and (B) it isn’t me who would get in trouble. After all, they can’t really do anything to me, can they? It is someone else’s husband (the Battery and Battalion Commanders) who would ultimately be held accountable.

25. While normally I would agree, we have been (A) explicitly told not to from the higher ups (Division and Brigade level); and (B) it isn’t me who would get in trouble. After all, they can’t really do anything to me, can they? It is someone else’s husband (the Battery and Battalion Commanders) who would ultimately be held accountable.

26. While normally I would agree, we have been (A) explicitly told not to from the higher ups (Division and Brigade level); and (B) it isn’t me who would get in trouble. After all, they can’t really do anything to me, can they? It is someone else’s husband (the Battery and Battalion Commanders) who would ultimately be held accountable.

27. Daisy Mae says:

I am not suprised. Since my daughter and son in law arrived in Germany last Dec we are no longer suprised by Army regulations.

And like my daughter says, even though she is not the one enlisted (her hubby is) she still has to follow all of his rules because she is a reflection on him.

meanwhile they are still waiitng for their household goods to arrive (it;s only been 6 months). There is real time and there is Army time.

Would it help if some of us civillan bloggers post the needs of the battalions on our blogs or would that be against the rules as well?

28. Daisy Mae says:

29. Daisy Mae says:

30. Daisy Mae says:

31. Daisy Mae says:

32. Daisy Mae–

I think the best thing people can do is support the units they know–and if they do not know of deployed units, become a Soldier’s Angel.

If you DO know of a soldier/unit deployed, I would try contacting that unit’s FRG leader or Rear D and specifically ask if they need any supplies for the troops’ homecoming.

Right now our guys have been absolutely bombarded with tasty baked goods, letters, supplies, etc. over there…so we are trying to divert some of that generosity towards preparing for the homecoming. Just a small part of it though! We of course will continue to send care packages…we just also want to make sure our soldiers are welcomed home in a manner befitting their heroism!

If you do know an organization or a corporation near a post with a deployed unit (or want to post this on your blog)–I think it would be ABSOLUTELY appropriate to let them know that many single soldiers need essential items on return. The FRGs are happy to make the beds and hang up posters and assemble goody bags of toiletries and would welcome donations.

They can contact the Deployed Unit’s Rear D Commander OR its “First Lady” (for the 4th ID, that would be Dee Thurman)…who would then point any such generous person(s) towards the FRGs most in need!

33. Daisy Mae–

34. Daisy Mae–

35. Daisy Mae–

36. Daisy Mae–

37. gynon sivell says:

Hi! I am an FRG leader and have a copy of the new regulations. My Bn CO’s wife brought it back. I’ve had it since October….I don’t know why they said it’s in the “draft” stage. I will try and scan it for you to send to ya if you’d like. Send me your email..

angel.sivell@us.army.mil

angel.sivell@us.army.mil

Gynon

41. gynon sivell says:

angel.sivell@us.army.mil

Gynon

42. gynon sivell says:

Oh, I forgot to mention…ya’ll should have your unit “FRG” funds by now…$5,000/year…we have ours….

43. gynon sivell says:

44. gynon sivell says:

45. gynon sivell says:

46. gynon sivell says:

47. You’ve GOT to be kidding me…WHAT? We’ve NEVER heard of any funds like that…nor has our Brigade CO’s wife or anyone else with whom I’ve spoken.

If you have regs in your hands or any info on obtaining any sort of FRG grants, please do e-mail me at armywifelife@hotmail.com.

I would be SHOCKED if the Army is really passing out that sort of money at anything below the Division level (I’m not saying it ain’t so…just saying it would really surprise me) because that is a lot of units to multiply that figure by…and would be quite a chunk of change for FRG activities.

I’ll be e-mailing you to make sure you have my e-mail address and I would be interested in seeing anything you have a hold of!

Edited By Siteowner

48. You’ve GOT to be kidding me…WHAT? We’ve NEVER heard of any funds like that…nor has our Brigade CO’s wife or anyone else with whom I’ve spoken.

Edited By Siteowner

49. You’ve GOT to be kidding me…WHAT? We’ve NEVER heard of any funds like that…nor has our Brigade CO’s wife or anyone else with whom I’ve spoken.

Edited By Siteowner

50. You’ve GOT to be kidding me…WHAT? We’ve NEVER heard of any funds like that…nor has our Brigade CO’s wife or anyone else with whom I’ve spoken.

Edited By Siteowner

51. You’ve GOT to be kidding me…WHAT? We’ve NEVER heard of any funds like that…nor has our Brigade CO’s wife or anyone else with whom I’ve spoken.

Edited By Siteowner

52. Tara Crooks says:

That isn’t the FUNDS you get — that’s the funds you are only allowed to “earn” to for the fiscal year. Lord only knows that not only do they have all of these policies but there is NO ONE out there really explaining or enforcing them — and it’s not just Fort Hood either b/c I am at Stewart. Too many hands in the pot and too many control issues. If the FRG is command sponsored, it’s command sponsored then why am “I” running it?

53. Tara Crooks says:

By the way – email me because I do have a copy of the AR – whatever it is! LOL

I can send it to you.

61. Tara Crooks says:

By the way – email me because I do have a copy of the AR – whatever it is! LOL

I can send it to you.

62. Tori says:

Simply Amazing!! I was astonished to here of this “Phantom” law that they are trying to implement. I am an FRG Co-Leader in Florida and we also find it difficult to get business to donate. I don’t think you cannot be held accountable for a law that has not yet been approved by your State’s legislature or by referendom. Here is some advise…write your congressman and state senator. Ft. Hood has the highest level of deployed Soldiers. State Reps need the military population’s vote and absent any FS-NAF Funds, donations are our only source of survival for these families. Play the vote card, Girl!!

63. Tori says:

64. Tori says:

65. Tori says:

66. Tori says:

67. Tori–It isn’t a law. It is Army regs.

68. Tori–It isn’t a law. It is Army regs.

69. Tori–It isn’t a law. It is Army regs.

70. Tori–It isn’t a law. It is Army regs.

71. Tori–It isn’t a law. It is Army regs.

72. Hands Tied | Army Wives' Lives – brilliant page to book mark