A Room of Her Own…

Although my baby will be bunking in with me (and eventually my husband) until she is a little older, I don’t think I’ll be much up for preparing her nursery right after giving birth or right after DH returns.

So, my mom has been visiting and helping me lift/drag heavy objects home from various stores. Then I’ve been assembling the furniture (no pre-assembled for me–what do you think I am? made of money?) with her assistance.

Right now her nursery is a lovely sage green and it has a crib, a glider and ottoman for mom, and the dresser is almost assembled. Her bedding and accessories have a “jungle” theme. I also threw in some lavender accents just to girl it up a little.

She is still in need of a crib mattress (looks like the P/X has good prices) and a bookcase. Why are bookcases SO ridiculously expensive??? I was planning on using the dresser top for a changing table (it is designed to work that way) but mom is trying to convince me to just get a changing table, too.

Next step is to organize her closet.

It would have been nice if DH could have been here, but I think we are doing a decent job. I have a feeling, though, that DH will take one look at my handiwork and make furniture assembly one of my household jobs. It is one of his least favorite duties around the house. We’ll see if I can pass it back to him when he returns…

Sounds like you’re just about ready for the big event…or at least getting there….. :) I remember my first. My mom and I refinished an old cedar chest that her dad had made and put a padded cover on the top to make a window seat/storage chest out of it. She also spent quite a bit of time stripping, repainting, and making bumper pads and sheets for a small bassinette-size crib that her dad had built for her when she was born. All of my brothers and sisters and I slept in that crib until we were a couple months old, and so did my boys, and my sister’s and brothers’ kids. It was so much fun to spend time with my mom while we prepared for Rick’s arrival. Such great memories….. :)

I can’t wait for the day we get to deck out a nursery. Glad you are enjoying making a place for your little one.

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

HH6

11. Philomina says:

I saw that you had a shower in New York but did your FRG ever offer to do anything like that?

12. Philomina says:

13. Philomina says:

14. Philomina says:

15. Philomina says:

16. Well…I had some Texas friends do that…but it wasn’t unit-related.

My FRG leader did call because one of the ladies asked if anyone was throwing me a shower here. That was very sweet of her but I really didn’t want them spending any money on me–not to mention we’ve had about a dozen births in our FRG before me. I thought it would be odd to suddenly start with me.

Our original plan was to recognize birthdays and births at socials…but the socials didn’t really get going until deployment.

So, I proposed that at the next social, we just have “wishing wells” (for small gifts like pacis and burp cloths and such) for the “deployment babies.” The husbands whose babies were due within 60 days of deployment were allowed to stay home, so we are just starting to have women due while their husbands are deployed.

This way people can do something fun and nice for the pregnant ladies without breaking the bank or leaving anyone out.

17. Well…I had some Texas friends do that…but it wasn’t unit-related.

18. Well…I had some Texas friends do that…but it wasn’t unit-related.

19. Well…I had some Texas friends do that…but it wasn’t unit-related.

20. Well…I had some Texas friends do that…but it wasn’t unit-related.