Vivid Neurotic Dreams

I have begun to have “inadequate mother” dreams, in which I am trying to take care of my baby and messing up:

Last night I placed her on the floor on a changing pad to change her. When I turned around from grabbing the diaper, she was gone. Someone pointed out a baby shape under a pile of blankets. Terrified she might smother, I pulled the blankets off and then found nothing under there.

You don’t need to be a master of dream analysis to figure out these are just the common fears and anxieties of a new mother to be.

Just wondering–anyone else have these dreams while they were pregnant?

Absolutely…I had nightmares that I forgot I had a baby and went off and left him somewhere. I’m sure there were others, but that one always stuck with me. But you know what, I never did do that…..lol. Some kind of a switch gets thrown when you have a baby that puts you into mommy mode. All the little things you worry about before the birth just seem to evaporate as you hold that little one and snuggle up against his soft fuzzy head…or her in your case. Really, don’t worry about it, everything will be fine….. :)

6. Cindy says:

Definitely. After the kids were born, I had even more inadequate mother dreams… where I would do things that I would never do in real life, like let the baby play in the yard when I knew there was a tiger in the woods, or go home and fix dinner and then a couple hours later realize that I had never picked up the baby from daycare. Sheesh I hate those dreams.

7. Cindy says: