Of Mice and Babies

Our best laid plans…well, they often go awry.

I have been listening to Hypnobirthing tapes in hopes of having a “natural” birth (without medical pain killers).

Today I found out that Lilah is transverse…at 38 weeks. If I present in labor with a transverse lie, I cannot have a vaginal birth. If my water breaks, or if I labor too long in this position, serious complications are likely.

Mom is not here yet, DH is not here yet. In laws are expected at some unknown date for some unknown length of time.

I need to just hold out at least until Mom gets here…hopefully safely holding out until DH gets here.

I am a little miffed at the Women’s Clinic (again) because:

(A) I realize now that her transverse position should have been obvious…why was this not address at my 36 week appointment?

(B) I did not see my regular midwife today (38 week) appointment and the doctor (and the semi-retired “expert” she called in for consult) acted like “typical” doctors. They just said, “Come in at the first sign of labor.” No explanation of why…no examination to determine if I developed late placenta previa (apparently a possible cause)…no discussion of scenarios…no suggestions for exercises or anything that might fix the problem. Of course I asked questions, but without any base knowledge of this issue, I had no idea what specific questions to ask. My general questions were basically answered with the sentiment that there is nothing I can do.

When I got home, I began my usual strategy of researching every issue to death…and what I found suggests babies in transverse at 38 weeks don’t turn. Still, I am praying and hoping for a turn.

Of course, I will be very happy with any birth that results in DH and I holding our healthy baby girl.

So, I am braving the phone system of the Ft. Hood Women’s Clinic tomorrow to try to get some answers…what are the odds of her properly positioning at this point? what can I do to increase these odds? at some point, is it safer to schedule a c-section rather than wait for a potentially dangerous labor to start and have to do an emergency c-section anyway?

I also contacted the Austin Hypnobirth center to see if they could give me a session to encourage Lilah to turn.

In the meantime, I have been doing pelvic tilts, while shining a flashlight at my pelvis. Tomorrow I buy headphones for the same purpose. Amusing, no?

A flashlight??? I’m almost afraid to ask what that’s all about….. :) I will hope and pray that she turns on her own and that DH gets there soon…very soon. Take care of yourself, and try not to fret too much.

6. Maya Markova says:

I used to think that natal care in the USA is great, but my relation there gave birth recently and although she and the baby are OK, it was very difficult and I think the doctors made a lot of mistakes.
    As far as I know, in your situation it is best to have a planned section.
    I wouldn’t advise you to try to encourage turning. During my first pregnancy (3 years ago), at one point my son was in transverse position. I asked my doctor whether we could help him to turn. He said that these approaches belong to a past era, they are inefficient and unsafe. I don’t know whether he’s right, but it indeed seems unsafe to manipulate the baby position by hand-pressure or something of the kind, doesn’t it?
    Finally, my baby turned spontaneously (it was well before week 38). I delivered him vaginally without pain-killers, fairly quickly. However, there was damage to my urinary sphincter, and some of it seems permanent. People also say that vaginal birth improves lactation, but I hadn’t enough breastmilk, I had to supplement from day 40 on.
    So don’t be obsessed with natural birth. Take care of yourself and your baby, think what is safest. I don’t want to panic you, but nobody else will think so hard about it. For the medical establishment you are just a case, a daily routine. It’s a pity that your husband isn’t by your side, but he could hardly do much anyway. The husband of that my relation was there all the time and the medical personnel still didn’t perform very well.

7. Maya Markova says:

As far as I know, in your situation it is best to have a planned section.

8. Maya Markova says:

As far as I know, in your situation it is best to have a planned section.

9. Maya Markova says:

As far as I know, in your situation it is best to have a planned section.

10. Maya Markova says:

As far as I know, in your situation it is best to have a planned section.

11. MollyPitcher says:

Absolutely the manual manipulation has risks–but I am not attempting that. There are other ways to encourage turning that do not involve that external manual manipulation.

Right now I am trying to get some answers. I spoke with a nurse/mid-wife today who is pulling my chart–but she seemed to think it was best to wait and see if the baby turned still, rather than schedule. I am going to keep asking.

I am still hoping for a natural birth. My PRIMARY goal though is a healthy birth of any sort… but all being equal, I want a natural vaginal birth if that is safe and possible.

If I present in transverse, though, I won’t have a choice–as long as they get her out safely, though, I will be okay with that.

12. MollyPitcher says:

13. MollyPitcher says:

14. MollyPitcher says:

15. MollyPitcher says:

16. Gynon says:

Just wanted you to know that they can try and turn the baby so she is in position. My son was head side up when I had my 37 week appointment and because i’m a diabetic they were going to induce me the following week (if i wouldn’t have gone before hand) from that afternoon to that evening my son went from head up to sideways so babies CAN turn back to birthing position if not they can try and turn him that is what their plan was with me. However, that’s not what happend…my water broke, cord came out first, had to have an emergency c-section. If ya need anything let me know..

Angel

17. Gynon says:

Angel

18. Gynon says:

Angel

19. Gynon says:

Angel

20. Gynon says:

Angel

21. Monica says:

My first daughter was transverse up until the end and then flipped the right direction on her own. I still had a c-section, but that is because she was 9lbs 9.7 oz at 38 weeks. There is hope, try not to stress about it. I can’t believe you are about to have the baby! So excited for you. Have a restful weekend!

22. Monica says: