Prayers for the 172nd

I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team and their families.

Deployments are never easy, extended deployments are never easy, and finding out just as your soldier was about to head home–that has to be difficult. A big understatement, I know.

The welcome home signs were already up; weddings, vacations, and moves were in the works; some of the troops were even back in the states when the word came down of an extension of their tour of duty in Iraq.

I know they will do their job, and the spouses and parents and kids will do theirs, but I also know their hearts are breaking. Some will be silent, others will express their heartache (A Mom Asks Bush to Reconsider). I don’t know why this particular decision was made. I will not second guess in an area I don’t know. Still, there is a part of me who asks, “How is this fair? Why extend a unit about to return home?”

If I may be a little selfish, I am going to say that I hope we don’t start seeing more extended tours again. It is hard enough to imagine what these families are feeling–I’d rather not get a personal vivid illustration of their frustration and deferred hopes.

1. KaSandra says:

Hey, I just wanted to comment on your blog. I came about it by accident but was really intrigued by it. Especially the heartfelt sincerity in this post. My husband is a member of the 172nd Stryker Brigade. He was due home one week after they announced his extentsion. It has broken my heart. Not only for myself but also for my two small children. But mostly for my husband. He has only spent 10 days with his little girl and now possibly won’t see her again until after she is a year old. Good luck with your new little girl. Children are truly a blessing!

2. KaSandra says:

3. KaSandra says:

4. KaSandra says:

5. KaSandra says:

6. MollyPitcher says:

I’m so sorry to hear about this! I know it is going to be difficult for DH to leave little Lilah…and I know it is always hard on the children, especially in your circumstances when the deployment was extended at the last minute.

My prayers are with you guys for a safe and speedy return!

7. MollyPitcher says:

My prayers are with you guys for a safe and speedy return!

8. MollyPitcher says:

My prayers are with you guys for a safe and speedy return!

9. MollyPitcher says:

My prayers are with you guys for a safe and speedy return!

10. MollyPitcher says:

My prayers are with you guys for a safe and speedy return!