Usual exam can miss potential breech births

Yeah, no kidding

Usual exam can miss potential breech births

THURSDAY, Aug. 3 (HealthDay News) — The usual examination that doctors perform to determine the position of a baby in a mother’s womb in late pregnancy
isn’t sensitive enough and misses breech and other abnormal fetal positions, a new Australian study suggests.

Knowing the position of a baby in the womb is important, because if the fetus isn’t in the normal head-down position — called cephalic presentation—vaginal delivery may be difficult or impossible. A non-cephalic presentation discovered after the start of labor can increase complications and even result in the death of mother or child.

Just for the record, I am far from obese (the article notes this increases the difficulty of determining fetal presentation)…but my midwife did not notice my transverse.

I agree with this recommendation:

One expert thinks that ultrasound should be done in late pregnancy to
accurately determine the infant’s position in the womb.

In light of this, I hope these late ultrasounds become standard.

1. Maya Markova says:

Of course ultrasound exams by a doctor are necessary to determine the exact position of the fetus in late pregnancy! I am amazed that they are not routine in the USA and instead a midwife tries to determine the position by unreliable methods! Pregnant women should insist on the ultrasound, even if it’s expensive and not covered by insurance. Technology is here to serve us, and babies and mothers deserve the best.

2. Maya Markova says:

3. Maya Markova says:

4. Maya Markova says:

5. Maya Markova says:

6. Qatar Cat says:

I so hope everything goes fine… Take care and blog it.

7. Qatar Cat says:

I so hope everything goes fine… Take care and blog it.

8. Qatar Cat says:

I so hope everything goes fine… Take care and blog it.

9. Qatar Cat says:

I so hope everything goes fine… Take care and blog it.

10. Qatar Cat says:

I so hope everything goes fine… Take care and blog it.

I guess your mom is there by now, which should make you feel a little bit better. I spoke with Seth earlier this week and he said DH would be headed your way soon…I bet he’s so excited he can hardly contain himself. Take care of yourself and Lilah…and don’t stay off this blog too long, or we’ll start to get anxious about not hearing from you….. :)

16. G says:

U haven’t updated your blog so I hope everything is going okay. Your in our prayers and thoughts.

17. G says:

18. G says:

19. G says:

20. G says:

21. BigB says:

can’t understand why it isnt standard either. Having had my first one in Germany and then getting pregnant with the second in the states was such a difference….in Germany i got an ultrasound every week from week 35 on to the birth

22. BigB says:

23. BigB says:

24. BigB says:

25. BigB says:

26. Greta says:

I know this sounds wierd, but I did meet someone who had a succesful turn by acupuncture. Worth looking into. BTW – love the name you chose!

27. Greta says:

28. Greta says:

29. Greta says:

30. Greta says:

I hope all is well with you and your little one. Please update us when you get a free moment. (which may be easier said than done right now)

HH6