Famous Last Words?

Sorry blogging has been light…I have been focusing on blogging on SpouseBuzz the last few days since it is just starting up.

I also have deadlines left and right.

And of course, Lilah…she’s getting so big! She’s been getting really upset after feeding and now something is upsetting her even when she sleeps. So, she has gone from pretty much “sleeping through the night” (one shift of 3-4 hours, followed by a 4-5 hour shift) to waking every 2-3 hours even at night.

Which brings me to the subject of this post.

One day last December, while I was waiting for DH to call me, I told you why we had decided to try for a baby despite his upcoming deployment.

Then, in my last post, I asked if anyone else had deployment babies.

I’m happy to report, I have no regrets.

DH unfortunately missed the birth.

I got more than I bargained for, with Lilah’s heart problem.

I had been hoping my temperament would skip a generation, and she’d be more like her Granny than me in that respect…and of course it didn’t.

It was heart wrenching to hear the simultaneous notes of joy and sadness in DH’s voice when I mentioned that Lilah had started smiling at me.

Still, for all of the exhaustion and absolutely overwhelming ups and downs and the medical issues, we still made the right decision. Being pregnant during the deployment gave me such joy in the middle of a trying time. Lilah keeps me focused on living life in the here and now.

Some commented that their DH’s deployed while the babies were young…I would think that would be even harder! I think you are so strong to have gone through that!

I wish DH could be here to help and to see Lilah smile…but I think I would cry all the time if he were missing her sitting up, her first solids, her crawling, her first steps.

A good friend here has a son who is almost three and just gave birth last month. Both times she got pregnant by accident right before her husband left. He missed the first birth but was home on leave for the second.

For those like her who went through it twice, and had a toddler at home while pregnant (and possibly even giving birth and having an infant) while your DH was deployed…all I can say is God Bless You!!!

1. Reasa says:

I had a baby while Hubby was deployed and one still nursing when I got pregant. It was hard but I would not change it for the world. It was hard but it gave me something else to do and think about while Hubby was in the Stan. I also had 3 older kids in school durning this and had a few problems with the last baby. But in the end it was all worthwhile and I would not change a thing.

2. Reasa says:

God Bless all of you.

9. patty says:

God Bless all of you.

10. patty says:

God Bless all of you.

11. Michelle says:

Lilah is so clearly a sweetie pie and you are doing a great job. I think of the three of you all the time. I am a wife and mother, although I can’t say I truly understand what this situation is like for you all (my husband is not in the military).

We have been skeptical of the US involvement in Iraq since the beginning and worried that the war was poorly planned throughout. Reading your blog keeps us in touch with the reality of the sacrifice Americans like you and your husband are making every day on behalf of the decisions the current administration is making for us all. I just pray that at the end of the day it will work out somehow to make the world a better place. Thank you for sharing your experience.

12. Michelle says: