A New Way To Stand and Wait

Technology has made this a new war both for our soldiers and for those of us who “also serve.”

I don’t often agree with my fellow alumnus’s political opinions, but I think this Trudeau cartoon is pretty on target:

DH never tells me when he is going out or when he is going to be back. First of all, it is a violation of OPSEC (Operational Security). Second of all, it just produces unnecessary worry.

However, I know there are plenty of couples who are constantly online together and DH and I communicate pretty regularly thanks to the internet.

As Trudeau highlights, the communications technology can be a mixed blessing. When you hear from your loved one every day and then suddenly not for 48 hours, you begin to picture all sorts of horrors. Of course, you remind yourself that your information is up to date–that you would have heard already if tragedy had struck–but still you worry, tensing at every noise. Was that a knock at the door?

On the flip side, the technology can play into the soldiers’ paranoia as well: It is 10pm there, why didn’t my wife answer my IM…where is she? Much of our force is young (as is usually the case for warriors) and the young tend to be less secure in their relationships.

On the balance, though, I like the webcams and IMing–especially now so DH can see Lilah’s growth.

I can’t even imagine what life was like for our grandmothers during earlier wars when they were lucky if a letter made it through once a month or so and the soldier were often away for years at a time.

1. Tanker Wife says:

My husband has little time to get online, but he is finally back in a location where he can call a little more often which is nice. I envy those who have regular email or IM contact. DH hasn’t had it since he got over there, on a regular basis, and so I send daily pictures of our two month old son and video our son A LOT! We are trying to figure out a time when he can get to the internet so he can see the baby live, and we will hopefully work that out his next call….

2. Tanker Wife says:

3. Tanker Wife says:

4. Tanker Wife says:

5. Tanker Wife says:

So true…there are good and bad things about the technology we have now. But I’ll take today’s communications over the communications of my dad’s time any day. It’s always comforting to get to talk to Seth on the IM. And taking a week to get goodies to our guys today is nothing. You should hear my dad’s stories about receiving baked goods months after they were shipped and having to slice off the mold to get to the still halfway good insides…..lol.

11. Monica says:

Perfect cartoon! Brad and I talk online a lot, and he usually gives me an idea of when he will be available, so I can make sure I am as well. I am also guilty of worry when I haven’t heard from him. I try to think positive and wait for a phone call.

12. Monica says:

13. Monica says:

14. Monica says:

15. Monica says:

Yep I was also guilty of freaking a little when I didn’t hear from him. It was over a week once and I think I sent the man a billion emails telling him if I didnt get at least I one liner I was coming over there to check on him. Luckily he was okay just gotten so busy with “stuff” that he couldn’t get a hold of me.

It truly is a blessing and a curse to be able to communicate so freely. If we are lucky the next time he goes, I can send pictures of our little one doing what little goobers do – cause trouble.

21. SighsofmyLife says:

I was in the Rear D office just yesterday and heard one of them on the phone. A wife had called, upset because she hadn’t heard from her soldier in a whole day.

Gads, grow up! He’s busy! There may be an information black-out! And definitely don’t bug Rear D about it.

What would this generation have done in WWI? They didn’t hear from their soldiers for months. Heck, in Desert Storm, there was no email, I received two phone calls and three letters the whole time. And counted myself lucky.

We are so damn spoiled now.

22. SighsofmyLife says:

We are so damn spoiled now.

23. SighsofmyLife says:

We are so damn spoiled now.

24. SighsofmyLife says:

We are so damn spoiled now.

25. SighsofmyLife says:

We are so damn spoiled now.

26. Bette says:

Being that wired is definitely a mixed blessing. I so appreciate that my sweetie had a mobile phone in Baghdad, but then there was the day I overheard the beginning of a rocket attack and he said, “Uhh, I gotta go”…some of the longest hours of my life passed before I heard from him again.

27. Bette says: