No Muss, No Fuss

I wish!

No Muss?

This is the hole in my wall:

Yeah, I know…she looks happy there. Don’t let the drama queen fool you.

The doctor’s appointment was useless. What a sour, humorless pediatrician! She basically offered me no tips, no strategies, no information. She even suggested that maybe I was tense (uh, no…I’m very relaxed with my baby…if I’m tense, it is due to you) and implied that it was because DH is deployed.

I’ve been reading up a lot and the connection between a tense mom and a crying baby has been disproven. Sometimes moms get tense BECAUSE the baby is crying, but the mother’s parenting does not cause the colic.

Despite the inept doctor, I am starting to feel a little better about handling this. Partly this is because supposedly her crying is now peaking and should start to reduce soon. Also, after reading stories of TRUE colic, I am relieved. If Lilah actually cried three hours straight (or even more than ten minutes straight), I would develop colic.

Perhaps this is because Lilah has trained me so well as to how to soothe her. Between the white noise CD, the swaddling, the swing, and the “babywearing,” I am able to keep Lilah calm (which is necessary with her heart condition).

At any rate, I am grateful that although she requires LOTS of soothing to get to sleep, she actually sleeps 3-5 hours at a time at night.

Unfortunately, she punctuates her first and second night sleep shift with a marathon two hours of extremely alert wakefulness.

Following the advice in the books, I do not talk to her and try to avoid meeting her gaze at this time to signal it is sleep time.

This is impossible as everytime I glance over, she stares back at me like the twins on The Shining. “Come play with me, Mommy.”

I swaddle her. She looks like a little mental patient. If she accepts a pacifier (which she rarely does), she looks like a pink, mini Hannibal Lechter. Perhaps she is getting ready early for Halloween?

I pretend to go to sleep; Lilah is not fooled by this ruse and begins to fuss.

I remember reading about a fanatically religious woman who thought her baby was possessed. At 2:30 am, as Lilah watches me with big, intense eyes, I could almost understand where she was coming from.

At the last cardiologist appointment, I had asked if open-eyed REM is normal (it is). The doctor jokingly asked, “Well have you see her head spin around 360 degrees? No? Then it is normal.”

As Lilah continues to stare, I imagine calling the doctor, “Uh, you know when you joked about the head spinning thing…?”

I’m sorry she’s not sleeping as well as she could but man are those cheeks too cute.

6. MollyPitcher says:

Heh, aren’t they?

I spoke too soon about the long stretches at night. Last night she wanted to eat every 2-3 hours. Oh, well! I really wouldn’t mind that if it weren’t for the 2 hour wake period…hopefully that will disappear soon if I keep “ignoring” it and trying to get her back to sleep.

7. MollyPitcher says:

Heh, aren’t they?

8. MollyPitcher says:

Heh, aren’t they?

9. MollyPitcher says:

Heh, aren’t they?

10. MollyPitcher says:

Heh, aren’t they?

11. Melinda says:

My oldest (now 7) was NOT a champion sleeper. She was a power napper. And, she had mild reflux that created heartburn that would send her into high-pitched wailing fits at the drop of a hat.

Our tried & true remedies: gas drops, Paul Simon’s Negotiations & Love Songs CD (big Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard fan!) and a vibrating bouncie seat.

She also really liked it when I’d hold her so her ear was next to my cheek & I’d make a shooshing sound like what you hear when they listen to her heart in utero. A little bouncing and shooshing and it soothed her.

They are all so different.

Does she like car rides?

12. Melinda says:

They are all so different.

Does she like car rides?

13. Melinda says:

They are all so different.

Does she like car rides?

14. Melinda says:

They are all so different.

Does she like car rides?

15. Melinda says:

They are all so different.

Does she like car rides?

16. Melinda says:

Oh! And one more thing…infant massage. M1 loved it & it helped soothe her tummy aches.

I am almost positive I have a baby massage book around the house somewhere. If you want it, just e-mail me & I can send it EXPRESS. :)

17. Melinda says:

18. Melinda says:

19. Melinda says:

20. Melinda says:

21. MollyPitcher says:

I have just about every book…and just about every technique works…until it doesn’t and then I have to find something different.

Car rides did knock her out–until yesterday and today when she started having fits in the car.

The problem isn’t so much that I can’t soothe her, so much as that she always seems to require some form of soothing if she is awake–swaddling, carrying, holding, shushing, white noise, swinging, rocking, etc. It is hard finding a couple of minutes to make dinner or clean up or do work!!!

I appreciate the baby massage book offer, though…I do have the Sears book, which discusses how to do Baby Massage.

22. MollyPitcher says:

23. MollyPitcher says:

24. MollyPitcher says:

25. MollyPitcher says:

26. Melinda says:

Oh, my. I think Sweet Baby Pitcher must have taken the same “Newborn 101” class M1 did!! I remember w/M1 I’d think FINALLY…this will do it and then, it didn’t. MAJOR disappointment!
    Thank goodness she is soooo cute. That helps a bit, if I remember correctly.
    I’ll dig through the baby collection for that massage book, just in case!

27. Melinda says:

Thank goodness she is soooo cute. That helps a bit, if I remember correctly.
    I’ll dig through the baby collection for that massage book, just in case!

28. Melinda says:

Thank goodness she is soooo cute. That helps a bit, if I remember correctly.
    I’ll dig through the baby collection for that massage book, just in case!

29. Melinda says:

Thank goodness she is soooo cute. That helps a bit, if I remember correctly.
    I’ll dig through the baby collection for that massage book, just in case!

30. Melinda says:

Thank goodness she is soooo cute. That helps a bit, if I remember correctly.
    I’ll dig through the baby collection for that massage book, just in case!

31. Michelle says:

i have just read your postings and i want so badly to reach out to you. i hve two kids and i understand how crazy things can get. you are a wonderful mother. please call (i’m serious) if you need to talk. hang in there

michelle from denver
    [phone number deleted by site owner…I appreciate the sentiment, but please e-mail me if you want to share personal info; there are scary people out there!]

Edited By Siteowner

32. Michelle says:

michelle from denver

Edited By Siteowner

33. Michelle says:

michelle from denver

Edited By Siteowner

34. Michelle says:

michelle from denver

Edited By Siteowner

35. Michelle says:

michelle from denver

Edited By Siteowner

36. Patty says:

She is so beautiful. What a doll.

37. Patty says:

She is so beautiful. What a doll.

38. Patty says:

She is so beautiful. What a doll.

39. Patty says:

She is so beautiful. What a doll.

40. Patty says:

She is so beautiful. What a doll.