Baby Diva’s Grand Entrance Into the World

Pamela Kramer of Happy Panda Baby is hosting a Cyber Baby Shower for the gals at 5 Minutes for Mom. Mamanista has donated a prize, by the way.

As one of their games, they want to know about labor stories. Since I already wrote about this, I’ll quote most of the older post and add some new details–because a story must always grow in the re-telling.

ETA: They also want “baby bump” photos. Mine was just normal sized, but I’ll share. Here I am at 30 weeks:

And here’s a profile shot to get the full effect:

Warning: If you have never given birth before, you may want to skip the rest of this post. If you are a man, seriously, go read something else. If you are pregnant, JUST STOP READING NOW. Come back in a few months when you are holding your perfect little one.

Well, Baby Diva knows how to make an entrance. Shortly after Baby Diva’s birth, I wrote this:

At 2:30 am on the 8th, I awoke, feeling “kinda funny.” Then I felt “kinda wet.” Then I felt REALLY WET.

A week ago, I had found out Baby Diva was in the transverse lie position…meaning she was across my uterus instead of head down, or even butt down. Laboring in that position is unsafe, and having your water break in that position is downright dangerous, so I had an appointment to attempt to turn Baby Diva the following day.

Obviously I was never going to make that appointment.

Super Dad was still on his way home for leave from the Sandbox (Iraq) and my mom was not due in from New York for about 12 hours. So, my friend graciously picked me up at 2:30 am on the 8th.

Three doctors consulted because they were not sure if Baby Diva was still transverse or not. Meanwhile, a nurse tried to get an IV in me and I refused. I wanted a hep lock. She kept saying–but when you have a c-section…I kept saying, but that is not certain yet.

She mumbled something about me being difficult–but walked away.

Finally, they decided Baby Diva was a little twisted, but head down enough to proceed.

They allowed me to labor for about 8 hours but I was not making any progress at all–in fact I went backwards. With the water broken they urged pictocin. They put it all the way up and I handled it for about 2 hrs. I tried to play my hypnobirthing tapes but they kept interrupting any relaxation I was able to achieve. When they said it was going to still be a long while, I went for the epidural.

My mom was delayed at the airport–she was due in that day at noon! She arrived just as they were prepping me for the epidural.

Then we started to make progress…but I developed an infection, and the contractions stopped really working.

What I did not mention is:

1. The epidural only ever worked on one side. So for the rest of the labor, pictocin-enhanced contractions kept coming on my right side. Not feeling it on the left, though, was enough to keep me from passing out.

2. I was so determined, I said, “I can stand if that will help.” The midwife said, there is no way you could stand with that epidural. “No,” I told her, “It has been wearing off. I can do it.” Reluctantly, she brought be the bar and I stood so gravity could do its work. Seriously. I could kick Chuck Norris’ butt.

3. Even that was not enough. I’d get her crowning, but then, because of my fever, it would be too long until my next contraction and all my labor would be undone.

I think my mom was ready to club me over the head and tell them to wheel me into the O.R.

I won’t go into the gory (gorier) details, but with the epidural wearing off and pushing past the 24 hour mark, I still managed to get her out. I told the midwife there was no way I was having a c-section after 24 hours of labor!!! (OF COURSE if it had been life or death I would have–but other than that I was determined)

Baby Diva was born on August 9, 2:38 am, and was 7 lbs, 2 oz, 19.5 in. I have never felt so perfectly warm and wonderful as when they placed her on my chest.

Two days later, she would be diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot. My husband had to go back to Iraq and my mom returned to New York–leaving me with a baby who shouldn’t cry but was determined to be colicky anyway. But now she is the heart-healthy one year old you see on this blog.

So, it was all worth it!

Be Sociable, Share!


  1. Katherine says:

    Over from 5 minutes for Mom . . .
    THAT is one awesome birth story. It’s always refreshing to read birth stories of Moms who fight through less-than-helpful nurses and have the as-natural-as-possible-given-the-circumstances births that they wanted!
    Way to go!

  2. boob mom says:

    Oh! Oh! Makes me want to write about mine. I’ll see if I can string five minutes together today.

  3. WTG! I love it when a woman stands up to drs and nurses to do what she knows is best!

  4. Amanda says:

    wow, what an amazing birth story. With my next I want to try a home birth

  5. Shera says:

    Phew! I am absolutely exhausted reading that!!!!! I understand the half epidural thing though and thankfully I’m far enough beyond that I now can kind of chuckle. I am amazed at your story and your perserverance! Just Amazed!

  6. striving... says:

    wow, I cannot imagine 24+ hours of labor. wow.

  7. Summer says:

    Wow, what a story! I know about epidural’s working on only one side, or not working at all!

  8. You look awesome. I love that dress.
    And we mothers do know best!

  9. Oh wow! What a birth story. It makes me tired and sore just thinking about it.

    When delivering Julia, Janice’s epidural only worked on one side too. But luckily her labor was short. But for Jackson her epidural also didn’t work well and the machine kept breaking. Sigh.

    My epidural worked really well for Julia, and I’m praying that it’ll be effective for my upcoming birth of Sophia.

    You’re soooo brave. Although my big nightmare is a long labor followed by a C-section, I think I would have given up and had them cut it out .

  10. Happy Panda says:

    Very familiar with the epidural working on only one side of your body! The same thing happened to me and it was not pleasant at all. Fantastic story! Thank you for participating with your photos and birth story. This is going to be very difficult for me.

  11. Sallie says:

    I am making the cyber shower last the whole week.. come read a new baby-themed entry everyday!!

    God bless,

  12. Jen says:

    Hi just cyber parting
    good on you for being so determined

  13. Auntie Em says:

    Great story! Baby Diva made quite the entrance.

  14. modmom says:

    you’re an amazing mama!

  15. Crazymamaof6 says:

    wow! way to go you were so determined! way to stick to your guns! the epidural wear4ing off is so lame which is why i decided to just go natural after the 2nd time it didn’t work. and i was going natural this last time if it wasn’t for the c-section. Great pictures!