Thirteen Different Ways to Get a Toddler’s Pants On:
- Allow her to pick out which pair she wants to wear. Get over the fact that they don’t go with the top.
- Tell him you are doing something cool as soon as he lets you get the pants on.
- Give her something distracting to play with while you slip them on.
- Make your hand into a “monster” that eats cute feet; thread your hand up the pant leg and proceed to pull the feet back into the pants leg.
- Have a “race” to see who can get the pants on the fastest or try to beat the clock (egg timer).
- Hold the pants and encourage him to put his own feet in while you make funny sound effects (Captain Dad likes the theme from jaws).
- Tell her that “big girls” wear pants.
- Tell him the pants endow the wearer with “special superpowers”; pretend child has said superpowers when he is wearing the pants.
- Have her “slide” into the pants.
- Let him try to do it on his “own”; ignore the fact the pants are on backwards and just celebrate that he’s wearing pants at all.
- Hold her down and wrestle her into them.
- Let him go pants-free, snap him into pj’s, or put on a long t-shirt (this probably works better with girls because you can always just put on a dress).
- Give-up and run errands another day.
Original Photo by Libero, used under Creative Commons License.