Army National Guard Family Readiness Group

If you are National Guard, I’d love to hear about your Family Readiness Group.

While my husband was active duty, I ran one FRG long-distance (during his OCS–and we were spread out throughout the country) and was the co-leader for another (while his unit was deployed).

During the last year he has been in the National Guard. No one has contacted me about any sort of family group, although I received some general information about the National Guard family programs when DH first joined his unit. They seemed interested in volunteers, but only mentioned something about me going to a training program and that was the last I heard of it.

Now DH is about to take command. His unit is not slated to deploy as a unit during his command. I’m not sure what, if any, contact from me would be desirable for the families. A simple letter just so you know my name and contact information should you ever want to reach me? An invitation to a family day? Monthly e-mail updates about the unit’s training?

So, any insight from y’all would be much appreciated. Feel free to answer whichever questions you like and add your own thoughts:

Have you been contacted by an FRG representative?

If so, was that representative military personnel, a civilian employee, or a family volunteer?

Is your spouse deployed/deploying?

Is your spouse’s NG unit deploying as a unit?

Are there events (Holiday Parties, Picnics, etc.) hosted for families in your spouse’s unit and, if so, have you attended? Why or why not?

Would you attend family events if you were available on that date? Why or why not?

What would you like to see from an NG FRG while your spouse is stateside?

What about while your spouse is deployed?

What information would you like to receive in a letter from your spouse’s commander and/or the FRG leader?

1. Skye says:

Hi, I’ve tried to email you but I fear my email is going into your spam filter. Please email me when you get a chance. Thanks!

-Skye Kilaen
    BlogHerAds
    skye at blogher dot com

2. Skye says:

-Skye Kilaen
    BlogHerAds
    skye at blogher dot com

3. Skye says:

-Skye Kilaen
    BlogHerAds
    skye at blogher dot com

4. Leaner says:

Well, hubby’s unit is deployed and I haven’t heard any thing. They have only been gone a month, and only just left the country. I have met most of the spouses in my unit. I know the CO’s wife is in charge but I guess I thought she would contact us at least once. We’ll see.

5. Leaner says:

6. Leaner says:

7. pollywallie says:

I love your site. I’ll be back again to check out your older post’s.

Polly

8. pollywallie says:

I love your site. I’ll be back again to check out your older post’s.

Polly

9. pollywallie says:

I love your site. I’ll be back again to check out your older post’s.

Polly

I just caught up with your blog, as I’ve been pretty busy between moving my office, trying to catch up on work, and becoming a GRAMMA!!! Yep, the little guy arrived on Sept. 19 and Seth made it home 10 days later. He’s already back in the sand now, but he, at least, had time to do some bonding with his son. I can’t believe how big your little guy was when he was born…a good pound and a half bigger than Sawyer. I’m glad DH was able to be there this time, too. My best to all of you….. :)

13. Ceece says:

THe unit my husband is with is about a 3 hour drive from here so any hope of having any real relationship with the FRG is foiled.

When his unit was only a few minutes from the house, my experience was not much better. The communication was lacking, the community was lacking. So far I have not been impressed with the FRG.

Of course he’s not deploying (yet) so perhaps thats a reason?

14. Ceece says:

Of course he’s not deploying (yet) so perhaps thats a reason?

15. Ceece says:

Of course he’s not deploying (yet) so perhaps thats a reason?

16. Angie says:

We have a very good FRG. My husbands whole battalion is actually deployed right now. Our FRG started rallying before deployment to give everyone a chance to know each other. We currently meet every month and also host activities for the kids. Our leader was raised in the Air Force so she knows the importance of unity and support. If you would like to ask more questions feel free to contact me. Thanks.

17. Angie says:

18. Angie says:

19. Jenny Tracy says:

We pride ourself on our FRG and its successful work with the soldiers and families. We also support others in our area becuase logistically it makes sense to support those in the area going through a militar5y expereince. As you know youare not always in teh area the unit is…

I would love to talk to you.

Please contact me for suggestions, guidance and/or support.

Jenny Tracy

20. Jenny Tracy says:

I would love to talk to you.

Please contact me for suggestions, guidance and/or support.

Jenny Tracy

21. Jenny Tracy says:

I would love to talk to you.

Please contact me for suggestions, guidance and/or support.

Jenny Tracy

22. KMU says:

I am a new guard wife and am trying desparately to volunteer. I found our FRG Assistance person and took care of some “official” stuff, and indicated I wanted to volunteer – but still, no one has contacted me. If we don’t have a key volunteer, I may end up becoming one – if someone could tell me how. I am an organized professional in my non-military wife life, and I think I could contribute a lot if I could actually TALK to someone. But, I am also hard-headed and persistant, so, although I don’t know much today, I am sure I will soon find someone! Thanks for the website – you provide a lot on info while maintaining OpSec. Many blessings to you.

23. KMU says:

24. KMU says:

25. Jax says:

Hi. My husband is with the 294th here in Missouri. Right now I am the treasurer with the FRG but I could use some advice. I am the only one with experience with the FRG but I had lived too far away when the boys were deployed to really volunteer. Does anybody have suggestions on how to reach other wives or get them interested? We had a bigger turn out at meetings when the boys were in Iraq but since they have been home, nobody seems interested. I think it is foolish to believe my husband’s unit wont ever go back overseas so I would really like to get more wives involved before that happens and find a way to get in touch with someone that can help train me? So far there is no training scheduled in my state at this time and I really want to make this FRG work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for rambling. Thank you for your time:)

26. Jax says:

27. Jax says:

28. Ashley Bryant says:

Hi there! My husband’s unit will deploy in route to Afghanistan September 1, 2009. This will be my first deployment, ad his second. I signed up to be a FRG leader for his unit. I would love any advice or resources that you may can share with me! Looking forward to hearing from you!
    ~AB

29. Ashley Bryant says:

~AB

30. Ashley Bryant says:

~AB

31. My DH is active duty member of a reserve unit, we have not deployed, however we have a FRG. Ours sends out a newsletter which keeps spouses informed of dates of exercises, important events, births, etc. It keeps us in the loop and feeling a part of the military family even though we are spread apart by distance.
    Additionally, and importantly, she organizes whatever relief is possible for families in stress. When a family experiences a new birth, surgery, prolonged illness, etc. she arranges dinners, cards, care packages, play dates and visits from the spouses.

I see the primary roles of a NG FRG as twofold:
    I. Create a long distance relationship with spouses which includes a connection to you and to the unit.
    II. Be sensitive to family stresses of all kinds and organize volunteers to provide relief.