- Two (2) Coffee Filters
- Watercolors (you could use crayons, tempera, glitter glue, or any other decorative materials…but I like the water paints for this)
- One (1) Pipe Cleaner
- Flatten coffee filters
- Paint and decorate coffee filters with watercolors and allow to dry.
- Fold each coffee filter into a half circle.
- Accordion fold both filters from the flat side to the curved side.
- Fold the pipe clear in half and twist three to four times.
- Place one of the coffee filters, flat side down in between the pipe stems and twist twice.
- Place the other coffee filter in, flat side up (the two rounded sides should be facing inward) and twist three to four times.
- Take a pencil and curl the ends of each stem of the pipe cleaner into antennae.
This is great for young children because no matter how they paint it, there will be a nice effect.
And there you have it! An easy little butterfly.
My daughter enjoyed flying hers around the house.
If you make several, you can create a mobile and hang it from the ceiling.