Mocking your customers’ concerns, especially when you profited from those specific concerns, is not a classy move.
SIGG went from darling of the blogosphere to pariah by following this simple plan:
- Take advantage of a health concern by positioning your product as the solution.
- Put out confusing statements that you cannot disclose what’s in your bottle lining but that your bottles “do not leach BPA” and are “non-toxic”. **wink, wink, nudge, nudge**
- Strong arm anyone who says there is BPA in the bottle lining
- Quietly develop a lining that is actually BPA-free without mentioning that the old one has BPA.
- Issue a legally and linguistically convoluted piece of double-speak claiming you are admitting the old liners had BPA because “the conversation has changed”.
- Don’t correct anyone who mentions that SIGG is BPA-free but then blame any confusion on journalists and retailers.
- Although you benefited from consumers concerned about BPA, claim that BPA really ain’t all that bad.
- And don’t forget to mock consumers, especially moms, on your facebook page (and then quickly delete it when someone challenges you).
SIGG says BPA A-OK: Quoting an article on their facebook page: “Most adults carry BPA in their bodies but expert opinion on the risks is divided. The European Food Safety Authority believes that people naturally convert the chemical into less harmful substances in the body.”
And besides, it is everywhere…because, you know, your children drink water from CDs: Responding to a consumer’s concerns: “You should also know, especially if you are concerned with BPA that it is also found in many, many products…”
Did you catch the snark on that last one? No? Too subtle? How about this: “For all those mothers concerned about any trace of BPA in anything, you should know BPA is also used to make dental sealants, flame retardants, and is an additive in many other widely consumer products. CDs / DVDs even the cellphone you use to call us.“
The others remain on the page but this one mysteriously disappeared after I commented on their wall (along with my comment which I will admit was harsh, but clean). But I haz screencaptchuh:
That’s right mamacita. Put down the phone. Papa SIGG has everything under control.
Check out these posts for more information: